Thursday, December 9, 2010

12/08/2010 - I love mommy

After painting a picture of myself as a ‘mean mommy’…..in an attempt to do an image reconstruction….I read “ Me and my Mom” by Alison Richie in which a little bear describes the fun things he does with his mom. The author’s narrative is in a rhyming style which is fun to recite like a poem. The image rebuilding wasn’t much of a success, I guess…..as Abhay was curious to know “ Where is the little bear’s daddy”?? I wonder if he’ll bother to ask where the mommy is while reading Me and my Dad” in the same series by Alison Richie.

Another book that all kids will identify with is “Owl Babies” by Martin Waddell and illustrated by Patrick Benson. I came across this book during ‘Family story time’ at the local library when I found most of the children sitting in rapt attention while ‘Owl Babies’ was being read out. ( Anyone who has been to the library’s story time knows that this rarely happens!!) In this book, three baby owls wake up to find their Mommy gone. They then come up with various possibilities about where she might be and this in turn scares the youngest one who repeatedly hoots “ I want my mommy” !!! The lost feeling of where’s mommy” is something kids of all ages can relate to. A young child’s feeling of yearning to see her Mommy is endearing and one of the many magical moments of parenthood. It reminds me of the time when I used to eagerly wait for my mommy to pick me up from school in the evening. Today, life has come a full circle for me…..I see my son Abhay doing the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment