Sunday, March 2, 2014

Sunday with Dr. Seuss!


Today being the birth anniversary of one of the most celebrated children’s authors of all times, Dr. Seuss, we decided to make it a Seussville Sunday on Onestoryaday! Frankly, Abhay has never taken to Dr. Seuss books like the other kids and I don’t know why. I guess one of our first Dr. Seuss books was the vintage “"And to think that I saw it on Mulberry street"”, a book that got even the library staff nostalgic as I checked it out of the library. Later, I had to read Dr. Seuss “"Happy Birthday to you"” on his sixth birthday, though we could hardly match up to what would have been his birthday celebration in Katroo! J When we flew back to India on “The Emirates”, all my worries of how to handle a then fidgety four year old in a 15 hour flight were put to rest as Abhay was gifted a nice little kit to keep him company and in that was a small little Dr. Seuss book! So amongst many of Dr. Seuss books we read…..this is the one book I remember the most!


So today we decided to revisit the same memories and had Abhay read with his eyes
shut!J  Like many other books of Dr, Seuss, this one  too in narrated in verse and highlights the fascinating world of reading and books.  “I can read with my eyes shut” is a book that Abhay enjoyed reading even today and couldn’t stop giggling when the ubiquitous character in most Dr. Seuss books ‘Cat in the hat throws light on the things one can read about if one opens one’s eyes – “You can read about anchors, and all about ants, you can read about ankles and crocodile pants”........complemented by hilarious illustrations! Of course…who can forget “The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” I guess, one is never too old for Dr. Suess..isn’t it?? J

 

No comments:

Post a Comment