Monday, February 28, 2011

Supermommy!

Like most girls, I have always looked up to my mom and continue to do so. Today, being her birthday, I wish I was home with her. I have always felt like my mom was a superwoman, juggling between work and home which she has been doing for the last thirty years. Now that I am a mom myself, I wonder how she did it! How did she handle everyday sticky situations that seem to overwhelm any mom without any domestic support? More so, when she was preoccupied with setting the semester’s exam paper!! As much as I’d like give myself the credit for the being the ideal child, Im also aware that an ‘Ideal child’ is an oxymoron! Anyway, she has set the bar a little too high for me to live up to. I made a call during the early days of my status change. Having found it impossible to perform the role of a power mom, I decided to take a sabbatical from work to devote my full time to Abhay. However, I’d be lying if I said that I’ve never ever doubted the wisdom of my decision! As I plan to get back to work soon, I dread the day when I have to decide between my son’s running fever and an important case in Court. So I come back to the same question, how did you do it, amma?

In an attempt to get my son to appreciate his mom the way I just did, I read “My Mommy hung the moon” by Jamie Lee Curtis. This is a loving child’s sincere tribute to her mom who can make the impossible seem possible. As you flip through the pages of this “keepsake”, you are introduced to this bird-catching, car-pooling, cookie-baking, medicine-dispensing, ball-pitching and cradle rocking Supermom who also manages to hang the moon and tie it with a string. My mommy hung the moon too!!! Happy Birthday amma!!

2 comments:

  1. Divya,
    This is a real tribute to mommy.You touched my heart. I showed this to Latha and Lalitha.They also overwhelmed by emotions.Iam blessed with such a wonderfull daughter. I still wonder whether I hung the MOON TOO.
    Amma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe me amma when I say ..you did!

    ReplyDelete