Sunday, February 20, 2011

I love trucks

I wonder why the makers of children’s programs find the non living more interesting than the living! They are anyway shown as having the same feelings, quirks and pleasures as the living….so what’s the point? Apparently, to stimulate the minds of little ones towards whom the programs are mainly catered to. It is a different matter that the parents end up watching it too! Once you have kids, you probably watch more children’s programs than the ones meant for your age. In fact, even after my son has left the TV midway, I find myself continuing to watch some of his programs!

Anyway, in the last couple of weeks, Abhay seemed to have graduated from the talking engines to talking trucks, in other words, from Thomas and his Friends to another series called Bob the Builder. Unlike the former series, this one at least has humans calling the shots and not the other way round. So today, I read two books on his current fancy – Trucks. “I Love Trucks” by Philemon Sturges and illustrated by Shari Halpern features different kind of trucks that we see every day at construction sites. It follows the same pattern as “ I love Trains” by the same author. In the end, the truck that is named as an all time favorite is the ‘Ice cream truck’!

The second book called “I am a Backhoe” authored by Anna Grossnickle Hines whose fresh take on a familiar subject is sure to engage your little builder! A little boy in his own way, demonstrates various jobs undertaken by the trucks from a back hoe to a steam roller. Of all the jobs done, his favorite is the role of the flatbed truck that carries load on its back just like daddy carrying the boy on his back. As I read this book to Abhay, he looked up at his daddy and flashed his million dollar smile at him! Mommy reads and Daddy reaps!:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment